Master of Arts / Part-Time
Curative Education: Development, Research, Leadership
How can people with special needs be guided and supported in the best possible way? How should social and therapeutic processes be structured? How can the situation be researched holistically? What conditions in organisations and society enable individual participation and inclusion?
These questions are the focus of the Master's Programme Curative Education, which combines theories and concepts of curative education and social therapy with hands-on projects and art.
The in-service degree programme combines professional experience and scientific reflection. Students become qualified to support the developmental processes of people with special needs as individuals, socially, and at the community level. The degree course focuses on the following research traditions and methods: quantitative and qualitative research methods, hermeneutics, phenomenology, participatory research and inclusive research.
Students reflect on curative treatment concepts and learn theories and skills to support participation, inclusion and development. In addition, the lecturers select difficult situations based on the career experience of the students, explore them in depth and impart diagnostic skills.
On the basis of science and epistemology, students acquire skills in various research methods and work with different research traditions.
Leadership and Development
Learning the fundamentals of business, methods of project management, and employee management skills qualifies students for positions in management and consulting at curative educational institutions.
In the second semester, students carry out a development project in which they work on a project-related task from their personal field of work. During the research project, which is scheduled for the third semester, students apply quantitative and/or qualitative research methods.
The course combines a variety of perspectives on human beings, their social environment and society in the context of existential curative education and social therapy. These include phenomenological, systemic, behavioural psychological and deep psychological concepts, and anthroposophical/Waldorf pedagogical approaches.
Studium Generale and Art
Students from all disciplines at Alanus University learn together in the Studium Generale, an essential part of all degree courses. In the lectures and seminars of this cultural studies and humanities programme, students strengthen and expand their knowledge in subjects such as philosophy, epistemology, scientific theory and ethics. In hands-on art courses, students experiment with sculpting and painting as well as speech, drama and eurythmy.
This in-service degree programme consists of both attendance and self-study phases.
- 6 weeks (8 or 6 days each) intensive study
- 4 weeks (4 days each) shorter periods of intensive study
- 12 weekend seminars
The attendance phases, which are organised into weeks of intensive study and weekend seminars, consist of lectures, seminars, research workshops and art.
16 hours per week should be planned for self-study. Self-study phases are used to prepare for and follow up on courses through the study of literature, research and artistic work, as well as the planning and implementation of projects.
Upon successful completion of the programme, the student is awarded the title Master of Arts (M.A.). All degrees at Alanus University are state-recognised.
- A first university degree in the field of education, curative education, psychology, social work or a related subject (Bachelor’s, State Examination, Diplom or Magister).
- Professional experience in curative education, social work, social therapy and/or another educational field.
Applications can be submitted at any time via the plattform CampusCore. Please contact us to schedule an appointment for guidance counselling or an admission interview.
Before submitting your online-application, you have the opportunity to obtain detailed, individual guidance from a representative of the Department of Education. Please make an appointment (see contact).
- Qualified positions in the fields of curative education and social therapy, in the design of developmental environments and the promotion of participation and inclusion
- Management and development tasks at institutes involved in curative education and social therapy
- Conception, development and consultation of research projects in fields related to curative education and social therapy
- Lecturer in further education and training in curative education and social therapy
- Collaboration in associations and interest groups involved in curative education and social therapy