Bachelor of Arts
We approach the study of architecture as a holistic professional and personal education. Small groups with a maximum of 25 students provide plenty of room for development. Our studio house offers a pleasant atmosphere for learning and working, while proximity to the lecturers facilitates intensive support. Our students regularly deal with concrete projects that are brought to the Department of Architecture from actual practice – by cities, municipalities or associations. Overall, the Bachelor's programme offers an intensive examination of the fundamentals of architecture as the art of construction and engineering. We offer you:
- Your own workstation
- Small group learning
- Intensive support from lecturers with professional experience in the field
- Project-based work
- A laboratory for experimenting with space
- A state-recognised degree
The course starts in September each year. Class observation is possible at any time with prior notification.
The core subjects impart fundamental knowledge of architecture. They include:
- Design, design theory
- Building theory and building typology
- Introduction to people and architecture
- Introduction to interiors and urban space
- Fundamentals of building, building construction and building materials
- Structural theory, design, engineering and planning
- Technical expansion and resource-efficient planning and construction
- Office internship (at least 6 weeks during your studies)
Professional techniques as well as cultural studies and artistic topics make up the contents of the subsidiary subjects:
- Architecture and Art (compulsory elective courses): freehand drawing and perception training, Bothmer & spatial dynamics, theory of forms, eurythmy, colour theory and colour design, drama, installation and land art, music and composition
- Architectural Representation: descriptive geometry, graphic design and model construction, computer-aided drawing, surveying and structural recording/inspection, graphic design and visualisation, moderation and presentation
- Building Culture: history of building and urban development, theory of architecture, building and law, building and the economy
- Studium Generale (compulsory elective courses): cognitive science and ethics, history of art and culture, anthropology, philosophy, aesthetics and the philosophy of art, people and society
Our courses are taught exclusively in German.
Watch the video on our architecture programme!
Mode of Study:
- Project-based work
- Hands-on integration of science and technology
- Intensive support and small group learning (approx. 25 students)
- Studio work in university facilities, your own workstation
- Presentation and exhibition of the projects at the end of each semester
The standard period of study is 6 semesters (180 ECTS).
Bachelor’s Project and Degree:
The programme is completed with a Bachelor’s project, which usually consists of a draft/design and is presented in a university colloquium that is open to the public. Upon successful completion of the programme, the academic title Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) is awarded. The degree qualifies the student for admission to various Master's programmes. Professional qualification, in accordance with the regulations of chamber law, is generally possible with a Master's degree in the field of architecture. More information is available on the website of the Federal Chamber of Architects.
The degree is state-recognised. The programme was accredited by the AHPGS Freiburg in February 2022 for a period of 5 years.
For admission to the Bachelor’s programme at Alanus University, the following requirements must be fulfilled:
- General or subject-specific higher education entrance qualification (Abitur)
- Without a general or subject-specific higher education entrance qualification, admission is still possible by submitting a vocational school certificate and completing an aptitude test or by presenting proof of professional qualifications or another completed degree course at university level.
- Passing the entrance exam as proof of professional aptitude
- 6-week preliminary internship in the construction industry (can be submitted later upon request)
- Foreign applicants must provide proof of sufficient written and spoken German language skills by submitting a recognised language certificate (e.g. TestDaF 3, DSH 1).
You can apply for admission to the programme at any time. It starts in the Autumn Semester. Please submit all of your completed application documents first. We will then invite you for an admission interview.
Guidance and Class Observation:
We are available at any time for a non-binding guidance counselling appointment. Please schedule an appointment ahead of time via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Class observation days are possible at any time by prior contact with the department secretary. Observation gives prospective students the opportunity to become familiar with the architecture programme in seminars and lectures as well as talk to lecturers and students.
Application: International degree-seeking students are asked to contact the General Student Advisory Service for the admission procedure. Please contact the person at this office who is responsible for the degree programme you are interested in.
Please include the following documents in your application:
- Handwritten tabular CV with passport photo
- Creative and representative photograph (DIN A4 print) of a self-made drawing, collage, painting or photograph (format of your choice) on the topic "How do I want to live?" (Please bring the original picture with you to the interview)
- Letter of Motivation (max. one DIN A4 page) on the questions "How do I want to live?", "How do I want to achieve this?", "Why do I want to study architecture and why at Alanus University?”
- Officially certified copies of documents/certificates qualifying you for admission (officially certified and stamped German translation of foreign certificates)
- Copy of official ID card
- Certificate of registration from a German health insurance provider (a copy of the insurance card is not sufficient)
- For foreign applicants: proof of sufficient German language skills (TestDaF 3, DSH 1 or an equivalent certificate)
Admission Interview: The admission interview centres on the Letter of Motivation and the original picture to be brought. An impromptu task is also assigned for which each applicant should bring an empty moving box.
Studying at Alanus University is an investment in your future. In particular, you invest time in the formation of your personality and prepare yourself intensively for your future career. We offer you the ideal framework to achieve with a special focus on holistic education.
If you have any specific questions about financing your studies, more information is available here.
Study for a Day: Participate in the architecture programme for a day and gain a first-hand impression of student life “at Alanus”. Talk with students and lecturers and form your own opinion. Try the cafeteria food, explore the library – we look forward to welcoming you!
Upcoming observation days are listed here. Please use the proper contact form to sign up directly for observation. We look forward to your visit!