Business Administration - Sustainable Management
Bachelor of Arts
Do you care deeply about the environment and the conservation of natural resources and want to contribute to a sustainable economy? Do you want to broaden your horizons and develop personally during your studies? Is it important to you to work in socially and ecologically sustainable businesses after graduation? Are you looking for more than a conventional business administration programme? Then the Bachelor’s Programme Sustainable Management was designed for you!
The management programme prepares students for their career entry in sustainability management – such as marketing or human resources. For students who would like to work in a start-up in the organic sector, for instance, or in the sustainability or human resources department of a large company, this programme is the right choice.
The "Sustainable Management" programme emphasises practical experience. In the courses, managers and executives from companies and organisations regularly report on their day-to-day work experiences. The university also offers practical projects in cooperation with companies.
Courses impart professional knowledge in the areas of management, marketing and human resources with a focus on sustainable management. Students attend seminars such as “Business and Social Responsibility”, “Green Human Resource Management” or “Marketing and Consumer Criticism”.
From the 2nd semester onwards, you can choose a specialisation.
The degree programme offers the following specialisations:
- Social Banking, Finance and Innovation
- NGO Management
- Social Innovation and Business Design
- Art in Corporate Design
- Sustainable Communication Design (new)
The combination of business administration with modules from art and the Studium Generale is unique. You develop personally and socially through practical exercises in art. You learn to train your perception and to become involved in the economy creatively and with the commitment to help solve social challenges.
Students from all disciplines learn together in the Studium Generale, a supplementary cultural studies programme that is an essential part of all degree courses at Alanus University. The lectures and seminars encourage students to reflect upon cultural and philosophical issues and thus find and form their own position in the social context.
International degree-seeking students are asked to contact the General Student Advisory Service for the admission procedure. Please contact the person at this office who is responsible for the degree programme you are interested in.
We look forward to receiving your written application via e-mail (PDF). For the first phase of the admission process, we require the following documents:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Letter of Motivation:
In your Letter of Motivation, please include why you are especially interested in this particular programme at Alanus University.
- Current Letter of Reference:
As soon as you have received an invitation for a personal interview, we would like to ask you to compile the following documents and bring them with you to the appointment:
- Officially certified copies of general or subject-specific higher education entrance qualification (Abitur) or advanced technical college entrance qualification. If you have not yet graduated, a copy of the two most recent school reports suffices for the admission procedure. (Officially certified and stamped German translation of foreign certificates is required.)
- A passport photo for the student I.D.
- Certificate of registration from a German health insurance provider to submit to the university. This can be requested free of charge from the insurance provider. A copy of the insurance card is not sufficient.
- If you have private or European health insurance abroad, we require an exemption from the statutory health insurance obligation in Germany. This will be issued by any statutory (German) health insurance company upon request
- Foreign applicants require proof of sufficient German language skills (TestDaF 4 or an equivalent certificate)
Admission is not limited, i.e. not subject to numerus clausus.
Admission depends on meeting one of the following requirements:
- General or subject-specific higher education entrance qualification (Abitur)
- Advanced technical college entrance qualification (or equivalent) plus passing the entrance exam at Alanus University
- At least 2 years of commercial vocational training followed by at least 2 years in a relevant profession
- At least 2 years of vocational training followed by at least 3 years of work experience in the non-commercial sector plus passing the entrance exam at Alanus University
- Career advancement training (master craftsman, technician, mid-level commercial clerk)
The degree programme is specially designed to enable students to spend one semester (e.g. the 3rd semester) at a university abroad. Alanus University cooperates with numerous universities in Brazil, Mexico, Egypt and the USA.
Your tuition fees do not change during the semester abroad, i.e. the cooperation between the partner university and Alanus University does not result in any additional tuition fees.
More information is available from the International Office at Alanus University.
Standard tuition fees currently amount to 522 € per month. In addition, approximately 215,80 € per semester for the NRW transportation ticket, a one-time enrolment fee of 300 €, and an exam fee of 300 € upon registration for the Bachelor’s programme should be planned.
The business administration programme can be funded through BAföG.
Alanus University also awards “Germany Scholarships”. More information on financial aid is available under Funding.
Upon graduating from the Bachelor’s programme in Sustainable Management, you are ready to start your career. More and more companies have recognised the central role sustainability plays in our society. Some businesses are on the verge or in the midst of a change process and are actively seeking young, creative people who have gained experience in sustainable management during their studies. Many other career fields are also open, such as project manager in NGOs, associations or "green" agencies. Additional career entry opportunities in companies include the areas of marketing, human resources or sales.
Reviews of our programme on Studycheck
Silvin Faulstich / Alumnus
I recommend studying at Alanus University to anyone who is socially committed, interested in sustainability and looking for more in a programme than rote learning.
Florian Spathelf / Alumnus
My studies at Alanus University have reinforced me in my conviction to achieve more than “maximising benefits” and to actively pursue sustainable management.
Watch the video about our management programme!